Translate

If you come closer, I'll tell you how it feels...


Last night in our family devotions we read the verse, "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." (James 1:22 KJV)

This morning my wife Rosemary said that her back felt sore. I responded. "If you come closer, I'll tell you how it feels to have your back massaged."
As she drew near I began to tell her how nice it feels to have a caressing hand in contact with one's back, a firm but gentle pressure, a caring touch administered with compassionate concern, loosening muscles and relaxing the whole body.
As I continued to tell her how wonderful it would feel to have her back massaged, she interrupted me to say that rather that just hearing about it, she would much rather actually experience it. Hearing about it was good, but not what she really needed or wanted. (Gratefully, she knew I was teasing her.)

The lesson applies to our talk about our Saviour. It is really great to talk about what we could do for Him, to talk about what we will do for Him, to talk about where we could go for Him, but what He really wants is action.
-- Lionel Hartley ©