Translate

Degrees of Honesty


(Luke 16:10-12)  He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. 11) If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12) And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?

Yesterday afternoon I was making a purchase in a local shop and the checkout girl was about to undercharge me 50¢. When I drew her attention to this she remarked that I was 'very honest'. I responded by saying that there is no such thing as being very honest. Either a person is honest or they are dishonest. There are no degrees of honesty, just as there is no such thing as a white lie or a black lie, as all lying is dishonest. She remarked that I could have just forgotten about the 50¢ and walked out of the shop. 'Oh no, I couldn't', I replied, 'If my God-given sense of honesty didn't stop me, my conscience would.'

Lionel Hartley 18 January 2013