Translate

 The job isn't big enough.

As a keen young man of promise I progressed rapidly in a certain manufacturing company from an after-school delivery boy with a weekly pay packet of coins and one solitary banknote to the manager of a busy warehouse with staff under my care and a $17,000-a-year executives’ salary (very generous in those days) with equally generous 'fringe benefits' including two tailor-made suits a year and twice-weekly dining vouchers.

In order to commit to a life of service to others, I chose to leave all of this to train as a community health nurse with the prospect of less than $5,000-a-year after graduation.

The company's Managing Director argued long for me to stay, offering me an increase in my annual salary to $20,000 and he dangled the carrot of extra benefits including free golf-club membership and less hour’s work.

I turned it all down, explaining that the money was certainly great enough, the fiscal benefits were generous enough, the prestige was big enough, the social-connections were grand enough, the extra leisure time was inviting enough, the material rewards were large enough, but the job itself was too small.

-- Lionel Hartley