Translate

God Guiding through the Fog


God Guiding through the Fog

It was 3am and I was driving home over a mountain range in New South Wales, Australia. As I negotiated the narrow tree-lined hair-pin bends in the road a thick blanket of fog enveloped my vehicle like maple syrup on a corn dumpling. The amber glow from the solitary fog lamp that I had installed on the front of the car only a week earlier seemed to strain in a weak attempt to force its light into the seemingly impenetrable wall of mist.
Inching along at a snail's pace, unable to see in any direction more than an arm's reach excepting through the pathetic puddle of light ahead of me, I fastened my gaze on the centre line painted on the road. Although scarcely more than a metre was visible at any given time, this line, worn with traffic and time, became a lifeline. I knew that my destination was ahead of me, although I could only see it in my imagination. I also knew that the thin line, nothing more than fragments of paint along the mountain road, would lead me out off the fog and into the sunrise.
As I write this, it is again about 3am. This time I am in hospital following spinal neurosurgery. Once again there seems to be a fog around me. But just ahead of me the amber glow of the Son of Righteousness, lighting my path. Sure, I can't see very far ahead, but it doesn't matter, as I only need to see enough to put my next footstep. He, like His word, 'is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:115). I don't need fret about the past nor worry about the future with Him guiding the present.
Thank you God.

--Lionel Hartley  Freezine Magazine 15 August 2003