Translate

Weeds and Wheat


Weeds and Wheat (Matthew 13:25-29; 36-40)

Matthew 13:25-29 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26) But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27) So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 28) He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 29) But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 30) Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
Matthew 13:36-40 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field. 37) He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man; 38) The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; 39) The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. 40) As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. (KJV) 

Whenever I have, in the past, read this passage, my mind automatically went into “them and us” mode, with “them” as the tares, naturally.

The word used in the Greek for “tares” is “zizanio”, and more than likely refers to darnel (Lolium temulentum), a weed that resembles wheat, that may be found growing in wheat fields and is regarded as poisonous. Darnel is sometimes called false grain.

When we look at this passage in context, between Matthew 13:29 and Matthew 13:36, Jesus tells two other parables, one about tiny mustard seeds that grow to enormity, and a second about yeast that permeates the entire loaf. Noticably, verse 41 says, “The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity”
There are two subjects mentioned in this verse: ‘Things that offend (Gk. “skandalon” – “stumbling-block”)’ and ‘Them which do iniquity (Gk. “anomia” – law-breakers)’.

Based on the content of the accompanying parables and the two subjects of verse 41, I would like to suggest that the wheat and tares are not just referring to people that the Enemy has planted in our midst (them which do iniquity), but to behaviours that we display when we fail to reflect a Christ-like character (all things that offend) especially when this behaviour becomes a stumbling block to ourselves or others.

This means that at some time or other we are all tares for the Devil (See Romans 3:23, 24). I observe that James 3:2 says, “For in many things we offend all.” (offend = Gk “patio” – “stumble” – the NIV says, “We all stumble in many ways.”)

Darnel or false grain produces no usable fruit. So if I desire to reveal the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22, 23) I ought not to wait until the sickle is used before using the hoe (see Heb 3:12-15).

In times past when we lost a loved-one through death, we men would wear a black arm-band as a sign of mourning and the women would wear black dresses. The arm-bands or black dresses are historically referred to as "weeds" (from the Germanic word for "garment"). Now-a-days we don't always publicly display our grieving, but endeavour to contain it within ourselves. Likewise we are inclined to be very quick to see weeds around us but fail to see the festering within. I need to remind myself that criticising the weeds in my neighbour's garden does not remove the weeds from my own.

So, what can I do about this?
Firstly, I believe I need to abandon my ‘them and us’ mentality (See Matthew 7:1-5).
Second, I believe I need to invite God’s Spirit to enable me to examine myself in order to weed-out undesirable traits in me (See Psalm 139:23, 24).
Thirdly, I believe I need to reflect on and confess my past judgement of particular individuals as being weeds while I considered myself as wheat (See 1 John 1:9).
And fourthly, I believe I need to follow the admonition of Romans 12:3-21, specifically verse18, “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men”.
May God help me in this endeavour.
-- Lionel Hartley